Sound Devices has just announced the SL-2 Dual SuperSlot Wireless Module for their 8-Series mixer-recorders. In addition, the SL-2 is the company’s first release in a new line of ‘SuperSlot’ accessories, designed for integrated multichannel wireless audio.
Designed for sound pros working in film, TV, and commercials, the two slot-in wireless receiver integration system easily mounts to the top panel of the Scorpio, 888, or Sound Devices 833 mixer/recorder.
Furthermore, the SL-2 can accept UniSlot and SuperSlot wireless receivers from a leading audio makers such as Audio Ltd, Lectrosonics, Wisycom, and Sennheiser. Moreover, the SuperSlot protocol supports up to 4 channels of wireless audio per slot.
Sound Devices SL-2 Features
- Compatible with the Sound Devices 8-Series:
- 833, 888, and the Scorpio.
- Takes two UniSlot or SuperSlot wireless receivers:
- from Audio Ltd, Lectrosonics, Sennheiser, and Wisycom.
- Built-in antenna distribution with antenna powering for active antennas or boosters.
- Supports remote control of third party smart antennas.
- Two auxiliary MCX antenna ports for connecting other receivers or RF distribution.
- 2 x TA3 AES3 inputs for an additional 4 channels of digital audio.
- 2 x DC Outputs via Hirose 4-pin connectors, each supplying up to 500 mA.
- Powers via an 8-Series mixer-recorder.
- Accepts either analog or digital audio from slot-in receivers.
- Ability to set and monitor multiple functions of a SuperSlot-compatible receiver from the 8-Series mixer-recorder.
- RF Scan with visual representation of the RF spectrum.
- Monitor transmitter battery, receiver audio, and RF levels.
- Rugged, lightweight, and compact design.
- Mounts to the top of any 8-Series mixer-recorder.
- Same width as the 833.
- Pre-order at B&H / $1,740 USD
Compatible with Sound Devices 8-Series Scorpio, 888, 833
In addition, the SL-2 and slotted-in receivers can get power from the 833, 888, or Scorpio, eliminating the need for external DC connector. Also, analog or digital audio is sent from the receivers into the mixer-recorder via the expansion port, reducing messy cabling for power and audio connectivity.
The new Sound Devices SL-2 offers antenna distribution to slot-in receivers, spreading out the placement of antennas for better RF performance. Moreover, the rear panel of the SL-2 is equipped with two TA3 connectors for an additional four inputs of AES3 audio and two 4-pin Hirose DC Outputs. As such, each of these can supply up to 500 mA for powering additional equipment.
However, in order to operate the SL-2 you have to download firmware v6.00, which is now available from Sound Devices. In addition to supporting the SL-2, version 6.00 introduces RF history for supported SuperSlot receivers mounted in an SL-2 or SL-6.
Also, you can learn more about all enhancements in firmware v6.0 here.
Price and Availability
Finally, the Sound Devices SL-2 is priced at $1,740 USD and you can pre-order from authorised dealers such as B&H.
Sound Devices estimate shipping to commence within a couple of weeks. Check out the full specs and learn more about the SL-2 at www.sounddevices.com/product/