Sony has just made firmware update v6.10 for their top-echelon Sony VENICE full-frame cinema camera available to download.
You can find a link to the Sony support page at the bottom of this post, but in summary this update adds one new feature – Pre-Shutter OFF setting.
What is Pre-Shutter Off on Sony VENICE?
- Pre-Shutter Off setting reduces flicker when filming LED screens or other electronic display devices using the same sync timing as your camera.
Furthermore, the VENICE manual says the following about this new feature:
When shooting using the 360 degree shutter setting (shutter off), the exposure time can be set closer to the maximum exposure time for the imaging frame frequency by setting Pre Shutter Off, which allows the camera operator to reduce flicker effects when shooting electronic display devices that are driven by the same sync system.
However, an afterimage may remain for one frame when an excessive amount of light is incident, such as when shooting with a flash.
* Pre-shutter: is the recommended setting for imager devices to stop short-time charge accumulation every frame according to the VENICE manual.
The VENICE rocking the SmallHD Cine 7 monitor below.
Sony VENICE Quick Features
- Full-Frame 6K sensor
- 5.7K 16:9 at 72fps
- 4K 6:5 at 72fps
- 3.8K 16:9 at 110fps
- PL mount, with built-in E mount underneath
- Anamorphic capture via license
- ART (Advanced Rendering Transform) file imports
- 3D LUT support to EVF
- 8-stage built-in ND filters
- XAVC and ProRes recording modes
- X-OCN Raw capture with AXS-R7 raw recorder
Sony VENICE v6.10 Firmware Update Details:
- New features added:
- Pre-Shutter OFF Mode
Download Firmware v6.10
You can download this firmware for free from the Sony support page here.