Sony has just announced the Sony a7C – their smallest full-frame mirrorless camera to date! Dubbed as a “new concept” the Sony a7C is basically an a7 III, but in a shrunk-down body with a flip-out screen and a terrible EVF offset on the left.
It’s a “mini A7 III” with a flip-out screen…
The camera records 4K up to 30p in the same Sony A7III 8bit 4:2:0 H.264 codec, but it does offer a more compact form-factor. One that is more akin to the a6400 and a6600 APS-C cameras. With it, Sony are obviously targeting a younger demographic more prone to use it a vlogging camera or prance around on social media.
Nevertheless, the Sony a7C is an interesting design move from Sony, which may signal the startup of a whole new lineup.
In addition, Sony also announced a new FE 28-60mm f4-5.6 pancake zoom lens, which they call “world’s smallest and lightest standard zoom lens.”
Flippy Screen FTW!
However, probably the biggest new feature here is the flip-out screen (fully articulating). This is a must for a vlogging oriented camera, and Sony has done the unthinkable – install a flippy screen for this very purpose. I do think a commendable slow clap is in order. Bravo.
Real-time Eye AF and Tracking
And while for the most part the new a7C shares a lot of its guts with the older a7III (including the clunky menu) it’s not all doom-and-gloom. The nifty little a7C has a few aces up its sleeve – the biggest one being – an improved Autofocus system with Real-time Eye AF and Tracking ported from the Sony A7s III and Sony a7R IV.
For all you pet lovers, Real-time AF for animals is also present, while the (same) 5-axis in-body image stabilization from the a7 III makes another appearance.
Check out this Sony demo video on the Sony a7c video features:
Sony a7C Features and Specifications
- 24.2 Megapixel Full-Frame BSI CMOS sensor
- 4K/30p video recording in 8bit 4:2:0
- 1080p up to 120fps slow-motion
- HLG and S-log2 and S-log3 gammas available
- 693-point Hybrid AF
- with Realtime Eye AF and Tracking
- 5-Axis In-Body-Image Stabilization
- Flip-out screen (non-touch)
- Same old menu system as A7 III
- 1 x SD card slot / Also uses NP-FZ100 battery
- USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-C for power banks
- 4K HDMI output: 8bit 4:2:2 to external recorders
- Multi-interface hot shoe for mics or flash
- 3.5mm headphone output and mic input
- Available in either Black or Silver
- Available in a kit with FE 28-60mm f4-5.6 compact zoom
Pricing and Availability
The new Sony a7C is available to pre-order from B&H for $1,799 and available in two colour versions – Silver and Black. In addition, you can buy the a7C in a kit with the new pancake zoom lens fro $2,099 USD.
For full technical specifications and more info head over to Sony’s website here.