Sigma announces the launch of SIGMA fp L, a pocket-friendly full-frame mirrorless camera a new 61 megapixel sensor and optional EVF.
Thanks to the new, massive 61MP image sensor, the SIGMA fp L boasts outstanding resolving power, while remaining true to the SIGMA fp development concepts.
Pitched as the “world’s smallest and lightest pocketable full-frame camera with a 61MP sensor”, this new L model continues the journey started by the Sigma fp predecessor.
Furthermore, the fp L model comes with a host of exciting new features and accessories, which will make shooting more user friendly, including hybrid autofocus (AF) that combines contrast- and phase-detection, and USB charging while the camera is on.
Another interesting accessory is the new optional external electronic viewfinder EVF-11, which is priced at $699. And it will also be available as a bundle with the fp L.
Crop Zoom Function and Full Touchscreen
A high pixel count means that images can stand extreme zooming or cropping. This was one aspect of an ultra-high pixel camera that led SIGMA to give the fp L a crop zoom feature that works in both the STILL and CINE modes.
And speaking of Still and Cine modes, the Sigma fp L features a dedicated CINE menu, which includes important camera parameters for video. This makes it easier to make adjustments without seeing distracting info not applicable in video mode on the screen.
Moreover, thanks to its huge number of pixels, the fp L can record in Full HD quality even at its maximum 5x zoom; because this is accomplished simply by cropping with no digital enhancement, the image quality will not suffer.
This functionality also allows users to use it in a more intuitive way – as a simple pinch to zoom on the LCD touch screen.
Hybrid Contrast and Phase Detect Autofocus System
In addition to high-precision contrast AF, the SIGMA fp L features fast image plane phase detection AF. This hybrid AF allows users to enjoy smooth autofocus that is high-precision, fast, and excellent at tracking a moving subject, whether they are shooting stills or video.
New Color Modes – Powder Blue and Duotone
Powder Blue is a new color mode with a bright and clear feel, featuring a refreshing blue color, while Duotone turns the colors of an image into a striking two-color gradient.
With the addition of these two new modes to SIGMA’s ample choice of color modes originally featured on the fp series, there are now a total of 15 color modes to choose from.
Sigma fp L Quick Features and Specs
- 61 megapixel 35mm full-frame back-illuminated Bayer CMOS sensor
- L-mount / Super compact form-factor
- Crop Zoom and full touchscreen
- Hybrid AF – contrast and phase detect
- 4K UHD up to 30p internally in CinemaDNG or H.264
- Full HD up to 120fps slow motion *1.67x crop
- External recording via HDMI – ProRes RAW (Atomos Ninja V) and Blackmagic RAW (Video Assist recorders)
- Share, Save and Load camera settings via QR Codes
- Electronic Image Stabilization (No IBIS)
- Robust and lightweight aluminium body
- Dust and splash proof structure
- Use as a Director’s Viewfinder
- Power via USB-C while camera is on; can be used as Webcam
- Optional electronic viewfinder EVF-11 priced at $699 separately
- Pre-order: $2,499 USD at B&H Photo/Video
- Ships in April 2021
In addition, the new fp L model supports USB charging while the camera is on. You can shoot without interruption while charging the camera using a mobile battery, even outdoors or where you have no access to a power outlet.
When using it as a webcam, just connect the fp L to a PC via USB and it works as an audio and video input device while getting its power supply from the PC.
Save and Load Settings via QR Codes
With the fp L, you can now save a custom camera setting. Saved settings can be kept as QR code image data, so you can load many patterns of settings very quickly. This allows for a new, fun way for users to share custom settings they recommend with one another by exchanging QR codes with other users or sharing them on social media.
EVF-11 optional electronic viewfinder
The new Sigma fp L comes with an optional external electronic viewfinder EVF-11 designed exclusively for use with the SIGMA fp series. With its 0.5 inch, approx. 3.68 M dots OLED panel, this high-resolution, high-luminance viewfinder will make you feel immersed in your photography experience more thoroughly than ever.
Blackmagic RAW, ProRes RAW and CinemaDNG
The new Sigma fp L offers plenty of options when it comes to recording flavours for video. Users get to chose from three RAW options – CinemaDNG internally, or ProRes RAW and Blackmagic RAW externally.
When recording externally in BRAW or ProRes RAW, 4K DCI up to 24p is supported. Internal recording is CinemaDNG raw and is in UHD (3840 x 2160) up to 29.97p. Sadly, there is no 4K/60p recording option, neither internally, nor externally. Furthermore, users can record in H.264 ALL-I, or LongGOP onto SD cards.
In Full HD (1080p) the highest frame rate users can record in is 120fps. However, you should note there is a rather heavy 1.67x crop factor at that resolution and frame rate.
Director’s Viewfinder Functionality
As with the Sigma fp model, the new FP L will also be able to serve as a director’s viewfinder mimicking the field of view of many modern cine cameras including the Sony VENICE, Alexa MINI LF, and RED Monstro.
- Use the Sigma fp L as a Director’s viewfinder:
- Simulates shooting ranges of cinema cameras by major manufacturers (you can see a list of supported camera models below).
- Frame guide:
- Supports custom frame lines
- Selection of external viewfinders:
- Choice of electronic and optical viewfinders
- Screenshot: Capture what’s on your screen in a single image
- Saving and Loading Settings:
- Batch save complicated settings using QR code to store or load such settings to use in-camera.
Supported cameras for Director’s Viewfinder function:
- ARRI cameras: ARRICAM, ARRIFLEX, Alexa LF/ ALEXA Mini LF, ALEXA SXT, XT, ALEXA Mini, AMIRA, and ALEXA 65
- Sony VENICE
- RED Monstro 8K, Helium 8K, Dragon 6K, EPIC MX 5K, Gemini 5K,
- RED Komodo 6K
Pricing and Availability
- Sigma fp L – $2,499 (pre-order from B&H)
- Sigma fp L with EVF-11 bundle – $2,999
- EVF-11 electronic viewfinder – $699
Sigma say they expect to ship the camera sometime in mid April 2021. For full specifications and more details head over to Sigma’s website here.