Sigma has announced the new 35mm f1.4 DG DN Art lens designed exclusively for Sony E and L mount full-frame mirrorless cameras. The new lens will be available in mid May at around $900 USD.
Featuring a lightweight, compact form-factor paired with premium construction and outstanding optical quality, the new Sigma 35mm f1.4 is a stunning lens.
Next Generation “Classic” – Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art
Furthermore, it’s an evolution of a true classic! The “OG” Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG HSM Art released way back in 2021, and now the new 35mm f1.4 updates Sigma’s most popular Art prime for E-mount and L-mount cameras.
It should be noted though, that unlike the original 35mm f1.4 HSM, which was a DSLR lens ported also for mirrorless mount, the new 35mm DG DN Art lens has been designed from the ground up for mirrorless.
However, despite being significantly more compact and lighter than the existing 35mm f/1.4, the new 35mm DG DN Art delivers exceptional sharpness from corner to corner at all apertures.
In addition, the lens’ aperture design enables photographers to achieve exceptionally smooth and attractive bokeh.
De-Clicked Aperture for Video
For video users looking to pickup this lens there’s more good news. The lens features tactile controls including a focus mode switch, AFL button, aperture ring, as well as the ability to de-click the iris – a must for video. Another cool feature, not just for video, but also for stills, is that the front filter diameter is just 67mm.
The new 35mm f1.4 from Sigma will be right at home and a great for anyone shooting video with the Sony a7s III or any other Sony mirrorless camera.
Additionally, the lens also features an aperture ring lock. Moreover, the entire lens body features a dust and splash-proof design making this lens perfect for outdoors.
SIGMA 35mm f1.4 DG DN Art – Quick Features/Highlights
- Full-Frame sensor coverage
- Designed for Sony E mount and L-mount mirrorless
- Improved optical performance
- Exceptional sharpness from F1.4.
- Minimized aberrations, distortions, flare and ghosting
- 30cm minimum focusing distance
- 11 rounded diaphragm blades for silky smooth round bokeh
- Stepping-type focus motor with single focusing element
- Fast, smooth and accurate AF
- Superb build quality
- built with aluminium and thermally stable components
- Dust and splash-proof design
- with a water and oil repellent front coating
- Manual aperture ring with de-click switch and lock switch
- great for video users
- AFL button that can be customized via the camera body
- Manual focus ring is designed for premium feel and precise control
- A petal-type, locking lens hood with a rubber grip
- Price: $899 USD / £749 GBP (Pre-order at B&H Photo/Video)
- Shipping: May 14, 2021
- Lens Construction: 15 elements in 11 groups
- Sensor Coverage: 35mm full-frame
- Available lens mounts: Sony E, Leica L
- Angle of View: 63.4 degrees
- Number of Diaphragm Blades: 11 (Rounded diaphragm)
- Minimum Aperture: f/16
- Minimum Focusing Distance: 30cm
- Filter Size (mm): 67mm
- Maximum Magnifications: 1:5.4
- L-Mount: 75.5mm × 109.5mm / 3.0 in. × 4.3 in.
- E-Mount: 75.5 mm × 111.5 mm / 3.0 in. × 4.4 in.
- Weight 640g/22.6oz.
Pricing and Availability
You can pre-order the new 35mm f1.4 DG DN Art lens from B&H for $899 USD. Pricing for the European market is £749 and 849 Euro respectively.
The new Sigma 35mm f1.4 is expected to start shipping May 14, 2021.
Be sure to head over to Sigma and check out more details, as well as sample images.