The RED Komodo could be getting a new firmware update v1.5 with Anamorphic 2x and 1.8x support as early as next week. This was confirmed with a teaser image by RED CEO Jarred Land on his Facebook and Instagram profile (see pic below).
In addition, the RED boss also said that RED Komodo firmware v1.5 was going to be released this week, however a last minute bug threw a wrench in the plans. Nevertheless, the tech geniuses at RED are working on getting this bug fixed so they can roll out the firmware as early as next Friday – March 26, 2021.
RED Komodo firmware version 1.5 to bring Anamorphic lens support!
Good news / Bad news. Komodo 1.5 firmware with anamorphic support was about to roll out to you all today but we found a gnarly bug at the very last minute.. so gonna take us a couple days of fixing and then a couple days of testing to resolve. So let’s try again next Friday.
This is fantastic news for those planning to use Super 35mm Anamorphic lenses with the RED Komodo. As up until now, users had to crop quite a bit of image are in post depending on the squeeze ratio of the lens.
In general, an Anamorphic lens with a 2x “stretch” or squeeze used with a camera shooting in 4:3 sensor aspect ratio mode is a more desired option. This brings out more pronounced anamorphic characteristics such as oval bokeh and blue streaks.
Usually, 2x and 1.8x anamorphic lenses are more top-end (and quite expensive – Cooke, ARRI/Zeiss) options and are more often rented than owned. However, in the past few years, we’ve seen a resurgence of anamorphic lens development, an example of which are the more affordable Atlas Orion 2x Anamorphics.
With the upcoming firmware update, cinematographers will have access to 2x and 1.8x squeeze options (2x in 4:3 aspect ratio and 6:5), with a possibility of 1.5x and 1.33x (these two however are not confirmed, but we’re hoping they are hiding in the scroll menu on the pic below).
Nonetheless, this will give cinematographers access to a broad range of vintage anamorphic lenses as well as some new budget options. Namely the Sirui 24mm budget anamorphic lens, which has a 1.33x “squeeze” and is available in Canon RF mount.
RED Komodo 6K Features and Quick Specifications:
- Super 35 (6144 x 3240) 19.9 MP CMOS sensor
- 27.03 mm x 14.26 mm (Diagonal: 30.56mm)
- Global Shutter CMOS sensor
- Native mount – Canon RF
- Records onto CFast 2.0 (non-proprietary media)
- REDCODE RAW Frame Rates and Resolutions:
- 6K/40fps 17:9 (6144 x 3240)
- 5K/50fps 17:9 (5120 x 2700) crop
- 4K/60fps 17:9 (4096 x 2160) crop
- 2K/120 fps in 17:9 (2048 x 1080) crop
- Anamorphic 2x, 1.8x coming in Firmware Update v1.5 (March 2021)
- REDCODE RAW HQ, MQ and LQ compressions
- 6K 17:9 (6144 x 3240) up to 40 fps
- 4K 17:9 (4096 x 2160) up to 60 fps
- 2K 17:9 (2048 x 1080) up to 120 fps
- 4K ProRes 422 HQ/422 up to 60 fps (4K DCI) – full sensor
- 2K ProRes 422 HQ/422 up to 120 fps
- to shoot in ProRes, camera must reboot
- Built-in 2.9″ 1440 x 1440 touchscreen LCD with preview and camera control
- BNC-SDI output for monitoring
- 12G-SDI: up to 4096 x 2160 4:2:2 for 60p
- 6G-SDI: up to 4096 x 2160 4:2:2 for 30p
- 3G-SDI: up to 2048 x 1080 4:2:2 for 60p
- 1.5G-SDI: up to 2048 x 1080 4:2:2 for 30p, 24p
- Supports custom 3D LUTs (33 point)
- Body construction: Aluminium Alloy
- Weight: 2.10 lbs (without body cap and Cfast card)
- Power via 2x Canon BP955/BP975 style batteries
- or 3rd party V-mount battery plate adapter
- power consumption approx. 45W
- Power inputs for external power:
- single 2-Pin LEMO (7 to 17 VDC) Input
Price: $5,995 body only – pre-order at B&H
via Jarred Land/RED