The RED Komodo received a new firmware update v1.4, which adds (beta) support for Canon RF lenses among other improvements.
Upon release, the RED Komodo, which has a native RF mount, required users to use an RF to EF mount adapter or an RF to PL mount adapter. As the camera was in beta firmware for quite some time while shipping as a Stormtrooper, or Special Color versions, it was a bit awkward that you couldn’t use native RF lenses.
RED Komodo firmware build v1.4 with Canon RF lens support and more!
Well, with firmware build v1.4.0, RED is taking care of this issue. And although, the RF lens autofocus support is still in beta and being worked on an improved, at least now you can use those fancy new RF lenses. Some of which, are quite impressive such as the magnificent Canon RF 24-70mm f2.8 IS.
Furthermore, the latest firmware build adds support for the Angelbird AV PRO 256GB CFast 2.0 card, and mentions AF improvements, however there’s not much details as to what those are.
However, it should be noted that RF Lens control ring on some Canon RF lenses and focus range switch are currently not yet supported.
Some of you may recall that MFT Services is offering the Sirui Anamorphic 35mm and 50mm 1.33x manual primes in RF mount. The UK lens specialists are also offering a custom RF mount conversion for the popular Fuji MK Series compact cine zooms.
What else is new in RED Komodo Firmware v1.4?
- New Features and Added Support for:
- Canon RF lens support (beta)
- Angelbird ARRI AV Pro 256GB CFast card
- Camera type and build number to RCP2
- Ethernet Zeroconf (Local-Link IP address) support
- Fixed the following bugs/issues:
- slow load of large R3D clip in Playback
- out of sync clip index in Playback playlist
- Factory Reset to delete camera presets
- USB tethering with iOS 14
- KOMODO Link Adapter interfering with CFast card detection
- user calibration with genlock enabled
- incorrect Image Stabilization UI status on boot
- intermittent snowy SDI image
- ‘Unapproved Battery’ error message running with DC
- Web UI Multi Action Menu buttons (LUT, CDL, Preset)
- AF window size on format change
- intermittent reboot hang
- SDI ST-352 payload for all Color Space and Gamma settings
- AF Improvements
Head over to the REDUser.net forum thread here to join the conversation and download the latest firmware.