Panasonic has announced a batch of firmware updates for their full-frame Lumix S1H, S1R, S1, and Lumix S5 mirrorless cameras. These updates bring improvements to autofocus and raw video output for the S5 (via Atomos Ninja V – read more here).
Furthermore, Panasonic also is planning on released a new firmware update for the Lumix G100 micro four thirds camera.
Moreover, these new firmware updates are due to land on November 24.
The new firmware updates released by Panasonic are as follows:
- Panasonic S1H – firmware v2.2
- Lumix S1R and S1 – firmware update v1.6
- Lumix S5 – firmware v2.0
In addition, Panasonic also revealed plans to officially announce a major future firmware update v2.0 exclusively for the Lumix S1 sometime in the first half of 2021.
See more details about what’s new in these firmware update below.
What’s New in Lumix S1H, S1, S1R, and S5 November 2020 Firmware Updates:
- Improved AF Performance (for S1H, S1, S1R):
- the improved AF system from the S5 comes to the rest of the S series
- Improved detection of movement with human subjects
- Improved AF tracking
- Eye, Face, Body – real-time AF recognition
- Better DFD technology with enhanced Continuous AF
- Human/Animal recognition can be set ON or OFF when the AF mode is set to [1-Area] or [1-Area+] – for Lumix S1H, S1R, S1, S5
- [AF+MF] can be used during video recording – applies to all S series models
- Improved AF recognition in video when using V-Log – S1H, S1, S5
- [SS/Gain Operation] function has been added. – S1, S1R, S5
- [Red REC Frame Indicator] added – S1R, S1
- Vertical playback for vertical videos – S1H S1R S1
- 4K video files can be transferred to a smartphone via Wi-Fi – applies to S1H, S1R, S1
- [Horizontal Image Flip(Monitor)] / [Vertical Image Flip(Monitor)]
- image flip when LCD is flipped – applies to S1H, and S5
- 5K (4992 x 3744) resolution video in MOV added to Lumix S1R
- 5K at 24/25/30p 10bit 4:2:0 LongGOP at 200Mbps
- DCI 4K (4096×2160) MOV added to Lumix S5
- [Like 2100(HLG)] now supports 10-bit HDR video – S1R
- High-Resolution audio recording DMW-XLR1 is available and it can be controlled with [XLR Mic Adaptor Setting] menu. (*MOV only S1R)
- [Luminance Level] function in 10-bit mode – S1R
- 4K 60P/50P 4:2:2 10-bit video output over HDMI for Lumix S1R
Firmware Update v2.0 for Lumix S5 – ProRes RAW output
- 12bit RAW video data output over HDMI (that is recorded as ProRes RAW on Atomos Ninja V)
- 5.9K/30p / 4K/60p / Anamorphic (4:3) 3.5K up to 50p over HDMI
- Vector Scope support for S5
- [Master Pedestal Level] function has been added
- [L.ClassicNeo] and [L.Monochrome S] profiles added to Photo Style
Firmware Update v2.0 for Lumix S1 coming in 2021
And last, but not least, Panasonic is planning a big firmware update for the Lumix S1 early next year. Firmware update v2.0 will enable 5.9K, 4K, and Anamorphic (4:3) 3.5K 12-bit RAW output over HDMI.
This signal will be recorded as ProRes RAW on the Atomos Ninja V.
In addition, the S1 is also getting 5.9K and C4K internal video recording, 4K/60 4:2:0 10bit recording as well as Anamorphic mode and Timecode. This will require users to have already purchased the DMW-SFU2 V-Log L license, which is $199.