Just three months ago, the WHO reported on the first cases of Coronavirus in China. What was, at that time, an epidemic only affecting a region in China, quickly spread to Europe, other parts of Asia. Now, it has sadly spread to North America as well.
Nobody believed that the virus will impact everyone around the world in just the span of a few weeks. But here we are now, 3 months later in the latter part of March, being either on a government mandated lockdown or self-isolating.
Film/TV Production Community in Crisis
The deadly Coronavirus has affected everyone, everywhere and every industry, including the Film and TV production. As the pandemic continues to spread all over the world, a lot of TV shows, series and movies currently filming or due to start, are getting shutdown, delayed or suspended.
Variety recently reported on major Film/TV Productions disruptions, and we’ve compiled a summary list of the shows and movies shutdown or delayed:
List of Movies Shut Down:
- “Avatar Sequels” – The production of the three sequels has been postponed until further notice later this year.
- “Matrix 4” – The film had moved to Germany (from San Francisco) and was preparing to start filming in Berlin, but choose to hold off.
- “The Batman” – Warner Bros has suspended the production for two weeks.
- “Jurassic World: Dominion” – The latest instalment in the Jurassic Park universe has been shooting in London, but is postponed for now.
- “Fantastic Beasts 3” – The production had supposed to start shooting in the UK, but the studio has decided to postpone it.
- “Uncharted” – The adaptation of the video game is paused and postponed for at least six weeks.
- “Samaritan” – Sylvester Stallone Superhero Movie, shuts down its filming schedule for minimum two-weeks due to the corona virus atmosphere.
- “Mission Impossible 7” – The franchise was set to shoot in Venice, Italy. But due to the lockdown of the entire country, the production plans are delayed.
- “Vengeance” – The Blumhouse thriller also shuts down filming in New Mexico.
- “The Card Counter” – The movie shuts down just five days before the wrap.
- “Red Notice” – Netflix movie with The Rock, Gal Gadot, and Ryan Reynolds on hiatus for two weeks.
- “Flint Strong” – The Universal boxing drama starring Ice Cube and Ryan Destiny also affected by the virus.
- “Shrine” – A horror-thriller paused for four weeks.
- “The Man from Toronto” – Sony paused the production start, but the film’s premiere remains scheduled for November 20th.
- “Sang-Chi” – The Marvel movie is paused because the director is self-isolating and awaiting Covid-19 results.
More Productions Shutdown
- “The Little Mermaid” – Disney postponed the live-adaptation and will be rescheduling its release for later this year.
- “Nightmare Alley” – Also Disney movie; this time directed by Guillermo Del Toro; production is paused for now.
- “Geechee” – Supernatural thriller which stars Adrea Riseborough announced as put on hold.
- “Home Alone” – Another Disney movie delayed. Ironic timing, indeed. Not that we need another Home Alone sequel, but that’s another story.
- “Peter Pan and Wendy” – Again a Disney movie. Shutdown production for now.
- “The Last Duel” – The Ridley Scott’s latest film starring Ben Affleck, Matt Damon and Adam Driver was set to release on Christmas Day, but is put on hold just before they moved filming to Ireland.
- “Shrunk” – Part of all postponed live-action movies by Disney.
- “The Prom” – The Netflix musical-comedy based on the Broadway play, paused production for now.
- “Untitled Judd Apatow project“ – Scheduled to start filming in April, but delayed for later in 2020.
- “Untitled Elvis project” – Earlier this month, Tom Hanks and his wife announced they tasted positive for COVID 19 in Australia, where they were shooting the movie, where Tom is set to play the manager of Elvis Presley. Production is put on hold. We hope both of them get better and wish them speed recovery.
- “Birds of Paradise” – Only six days to wrap and the production had to shut down.
- “Official Competition” – Penelope Cruz and Antonio Banderas movie suspended filming in Madrid. Spain is the second most affected country in Europe, following Italy at the moment, so no wonder they had to shut down immediately.
- “The Nightingale” – Another Sony movie that suspended its production that was scheduled to film in Budapest.
TV/Streaming – Netflix, HBO, Disney
- “The Witcher” – The Netflix hit show shuts down production for two weeks on filming of Season 2 due to the spread of COVID-19 virus in the UK, and the increasingly difficult situation there.
- “Stranger Things” – The filming of the 4th season of the Netflix hit sci-fi/fantasy is put on hold.
- “The Handmaids Tale” – The Hulu show is shuts down until situation with pandemic improves.
- “Lord of the Rings” – The Amazon series are shuts down production for at least two weeks.
- “Untitled Goonies Pilot” – Also shuts down production.
- “Loki”, “Falcon and the winter soldier” and “Wanda vision” – Marvel studio put on pause the three shows.
Other Productions also Shutdown
- “Peaky Blinders” – Production on the hit period crime drama series has been postponed according to the BBC.
- “Queen of the south” – Suspended for three weeks.
- “Empire” – final season production has also been shut down.
- “Pose”– For now take a pose from home.
- “American Housewife” – Will continue production later on in 2020.
- “Big shot” – Also shutdown.
- “Supernatural” – Warner Bros has decided to stop the production.
- “Snowpiercer” – The TV-series based on the Bong Joon Ho’s 2013 movie is halting production.
- “The Walking Dead” – three to four weeks delayed.
- “Fear of Walking Dead” – The production will take an extended hiatus.
- “Kevin can F— himself” – Three to Four weeks delay.
- “Atlanta” – Put on hold.
- “Snowfall” – Like all FX series, Snowfall is affected by the situation.
- “FARGO” – Season 4 has halted production and the original premiere date 19th April has been postponed.
- “Euphoria” – The production had began, but has been shutdown.
- “Righteous Gemstones” – Shutdown for now.
- “Servant” – Production on the M. Night Shyamalan thriller has also stopped as apart of all Apple TV+ shows.
- “Lise’s Story” – Warner Bros also stopped production on all their shows.
- “Mythic Quest: Ravens Banquets” – Stopped production.
- “Suspicion” – It is part of Apple TV+ shows, so unfortunately it has been suspended for now.
- “Foundation” – Was filming, but production has now also become part of the “temporarily shut down” list.
- “For All Mankind” – Season 2 has stopped production.
- “American Crime Story” – Impeachment” – Set to start production in April, but put on pause.
- “Batwoman” – Set on pause due to the Coronavirus.
- “Lucifer” – stopped production for now.
- “God Friended Me” – Suspended production.
- “Claws” – Halted.
- “Queen Sugar” – Also affected by the virus epidemic, and halted production.
- “All Rise” – Suspended production for the moment.
See the Trailer for Stranger Things 4
We know that a lot of you have some of your favourite shows on this list, we do as well. Stranger Things is one of them; check out the trailer for the upcoming Season 4 below.
We hope all of you are socially distancing and being responsible adults. Stay home, and be safe!