Metabones has a solution for Canon EOS R 4K videographers. The EOS R mirrorless camera is gaining momentum among video creators.
But despite the excellent autofocus in video and full-frame mirrorless design, videographers must still deal with that “Canon” sensor crop in 4K video.
4K Crop Significantly Reduced
Well, not any more. Metabones has the solution. Nevertheless, we may still dream of shooting high resolution, un-cropped, full-frame video on a Canon full-frame mirrorless camera; but we must wait until we get the Canon EOS R5 high-end mirrorless camera. Canon recently announced the EOS R5 development. The R5 is going to shoot 8K video using the full sensor,
Creators of the legendary Speedbooster focal reducers, Metabones has officially released the Metabones EF-RF Speed Booster ULTRA 0.71x.
This adapter is designed to reduce the 4K crop in video on the Canon EOS R to just about 1.24x, while also adapting EF lenses to the RF mount on the camera.
Metabones EF to RF Speedbooster
The new Metabones EF to RF Speedbooster, will be able to reduce most of the 4K video crop factor of EOS R (1.75x) and EOS RP (1.63x) and reduce it to 1.24x and 1.15x respectively.
The field of view thus becomes much closer to the still photo mode of the EOS R. Users should pay attention to this fact – this model Speed Booster is not intended for still photography. But it will work if the camera is configured to film in APS-C mode.
Videographers need to also note that 1080p/60 mode does not work at all!
Metabones EF-RF Speed Booster ULTRA 0.71x Features:
- Increase maximum aperture by 1 stop.
- (with a maximum output aperture of f/0.9).
- Increase MTF & makes lens 0.71x wider.
- Advanced 5-element/4-group optical design incorporating ultra-high index tantalum-based optical glass.
- Electronic Contacts for AF in Video/Stills
- Supports Autofocus
- AF speed is properly adjusted to account for and leverage the shorter focal length and the brighter maximum aperture.
- Dual-pixel autofocus (DPAF) and video AF support.
- Focal length and aperture are adjusted in EXIF (see note 3).
- Image stabilization (IS) lens support.
- Store EXIF data (lens name, focal length and maximum/minimum aperture) for one manual lens in the adapter.
- Build-in multi-function Control Wheel (turn/ push-in) for assignable functions(eg. ISO, shutter speed or aperture control, depth-of-field preview).
- LED indicator shows communication status.
- Powered by camera body. With most lenses, no external power source required.
Metabones Speed Booster RF to EF Mechanical Features:
- The tripod foot is detachable and compatible with Arca Swiss, Markins and Photo Clam ball heads.
- It has reduced internal reflection.
- Rubber gasket protects the RF mount connection from dust and moisture.
- The Adapter is made of Aluminium alloy and brass construction with chromium plating.
- It also features Satin surface finish.
Moreover, the Metabones Speed Booster ULTRA range features an advanced 5-element/4-group optical design by Caldwell Photographic Inc. Hence, each adapter incorporates ultra-high index tantalum-based optical glass into the optical design.
Therefore, these adapters can achieve extraordinary optical performance with improved corner sharpness, distortion and reduced vignetting.
This Metabones works with Canon EOS R and EOS RP
The Speed Booster ULTRA series adapters are characterized by a magnification factor of 0.71x. Thus effectively reducing the crop factor of 4K video on EOS R and EOS RP from 1.75x to 1.24x.
Thus, the Speed Booster ULTRA performs extremely well with professional-grade f/2.8 zoom lenses such as:
- Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L series (effective 17-50mm f/2.0 with Speed Booster ULTRA)
- Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L series (effectively 50-142mm f/2.0 with Speed Booster ULTRA)
Pricing and Availability
The Metabones EF-RF Speed Booster ULTRA 0.71x is priced at $479 USD and is available to order from authorized dealers such as B&H Photo Video.
And finally, you can see full technical specifications and lens compatibility at Metabones.