GoPro Hero9 Black is now official and it shoots 5K/30p video, takes 23 megapixel photos and adds HyperSmooth 3.0 stabilization.
In addition, the new model adds a front-facing display, gets a larger read display and comes with a slightly bigger battery. The latter gives users around 30% more battery life. Furthermore, GoPro also announced a new Max Lens Mod accessory for an ultra-wide SuperView.
Better than 5K Video – GoPro Ditches the Plastic Packaging!
In a more important update, GoPro is removing the ridiculously excessive plastic from their packaging and replacing it with a high-quality travel case. And that is something all companies should doing – reducing plastic and unnecessary packaging.
“Reducing as much plastic as possible from our business is a priority for us,” Woodman says. “We’re excited to package HERO9 Black in a high-value travel case instead of traditional wasteful packaging, and we’re committed to doing the same with the rest of our cameras by the end of 2021.”
GoPro HERO9 Black Features
- New Sensor and 5K/30 and 24p video
- Also, it shoots 4K/60, 2.7K/120, 1440p/120, and 1080p/240fps
- Video Codecs/Bit Rate:
- MP4 (H.264/AVC), MP4 (H.265/HEVC)
- 100Mbps in 2.7K, 4K, 5K
- 23 Megapixel photos
- New 1.4-inch front colour display with live preview and status modes
- Bigger 2.27-inch rear touch display with touch zoom
- 30% more battery life than HERO8 Black
- with improved cold weather performance
- Removable, rechargeable battery (new size, does NOT fit Hero8)
- HyperSmooth 3.0 with in-camera horizon levelling
- TimeWarp 3.0 featuring Real Speed and Half Speed
- 1080p Live Streaming / 1080p Webcam mode
- Power Tools:
- Scheduled Capture and Duration Capture
- SuperPhoto + HDR Night lapse video
- RAW photos / Digital lenses
- Voice control with 14 commands in 11 languages + 6 accents
- 3 microphones with advanced wind-noise reduction
- Stereo + RAW audio
- Larger speaker for improved audio playback
- Removable lens cover
- Built-in folding mounting fingers
- Rugged + waterproof to 33ft (10m)
- Compatible with Max Lens Mod, Light Mod, Display Mod and Media Mod
Max Lens Mod for HERO9 Black
Priced at $99, the new Max lens Mod for the new GoPro brings Max HyperSmooth video stabilization and low-distortion, ultra-wide Max SuperView to HERO9 Black at up to 2.7K60 resolution.
In addition, the Max Lens Mod also allows for horizon lock even when the camera is rotated a full 360 degrees.
GoPro also released a list of HERO9 Black-compatible Mods also including:
- Media Mod for HERO9 Black for $80
- with a removable foam windscreen
- Display Mod – $80
- Light Mod – $50
The GoPro HERO9 Max Lens Mod is schedueld to ship next month. While the Media Mod for HERO9 Black will be available starting Sept. 16. The Display and Light Mods are currently available on GoPro.com.
Pricing and Availability
Pricing for the GoPro HERO9 Black is set at $449.99, or $349.98 if you take a one-year subscription to GoPro.
The Hero9 Black is also available to pre-order at B&H Photo/Video.
Existing GoPro subscribers can also take advantage of the $349.98 pricing at GoPro.com.