Fujfilm GFX100 is now capable of recording 12bit 4K ProRes RAW via the Atomos Ninja V monitor/recorder with AtomOS 10.53 firmware update. Just a few day ago, Atomos released a firmware update enabling the ProRes RAW recording to their Ninja V recorder from the Fujifilm GFX100.
In addition, Atomos had announced the update earlier in the summer, and now it is finally out to the masses.
In AtomOS 10.53 update, Ninja V can record up to 4K/30p 12-bit ProRes RAW from the GFX100’s state-of-the-art medium format sensor.
Medium Format 4K RAW
And now thanks to this update from Atomos, the Fuji GFX100 in combination with the mighty Ninja V gives filmmakers a huge creative canvas with incredible detail and flexiblity in post. Check out the awesome footage shot by Rodney Charters ASC:
Atomos CEO Jeromy Young had this to say about the latest update:
“I’m delighted that the Fujifilm GFX100 with our Ninja V delivers extraordinary large sensor RAW footage that was previously unattainable at this size and cost. It continues to be our mission to democratize filmmaking, giving cinematographers the option to own a RAW shooting large sensor video camera that’s in a class of its own.
Our HDR technology, combined with Fujifilm’s long history of colour excellence and Apple’s ProRes RAW codec are a winning combination. I look forward to seeing films, TV shows and commercials shot with this amazing setup.”
As we all know, the Atomos Ninja V is more than just a recorder. It is also an awesome monitor thanks to its 1000nit HDR high brightness display. This will enable GFX100 users to view the signal in HDR in a choice of HLG and PQ (HDR10) formats.
As an alternative to ProRes RAW, the Ninja V can also record 10bit 422 ProRes and DNx video up to 4Kp60 from the HDMI output of the GFX100.
AtomOS 10.53 New Functions/Features
- 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) up tp 30p in 12bit ProRes RAW
- 10bit ProRes 422 or Avid DNx:
- 4K DCI (4096 x 2160) up to 24p
- 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) up to 30p
- Full HD up to 60p
- Monitoring of RAW input in:
- Native – Linear to Vlog for use with 3D LUTs – can use any existing Vlog V Gamut LOOK LUTs.
- Rec709 – to view RAW input in SDR up to 6.7 stops of dynamic range.
- HLG – to view RAW in HLG with up 10.5 stops of dynamic range.
- PQ – to view RAW in PQ/HDR10 with up to 10.5 stops of dynamic range, for scenes with extended spectral highlights.
- Playback of recorded video in ProRes RAW, ProRes 422, and DNx.
Known Firmware Limitation:
- Interaction with the EVF eye sensor may cause freeze frame or black frames in the recording.
- Not using the EVF or tilting the LCD screen can resolve the issue.
- Removal of the EVF from the camera is advised to avoid issue.
- White balance metadata is not reported in Final Cut Pro X.
- Update in future firmware release for camera and Ninja.
- White balance adjustment is not available in Final Cut Pro X.
- RAW to HDR HDMI output – PQ/HDR10 output conversion may appear slightly incorrect.
Note: The GFX100 requires firmware v2.01 from Fujifilm.
You can download AtomOS 10.53 update for Ninja V from Atomos’ website here.