You can now download Sony FX9 firmware v2.01, which fixed some bugs identified in the initial release of firmware v2.0.
The new feature set in firmware v2.01 remains the same. Some of the biggest additions in firmware v2.0 for FX9 is the DCI 4K/60p from a full-frame 5K crop, as well as a DCI 4K/24 and 30p from the FF 6K sensor (down-sampled to 4K for pristine quality).
Sony FX9 Firmware v2.01 New Features
New Recording Resolutions and Frame Rates:
- DCI 4K/60p (4096 x 2160) recording (oversampled)
- uses a 5K full-frame crop down-sampled to 4K DCI
- DCI 4K (4096 x 2160) at 23.98/25p/29.97p from 6K FF
- S35 4K crop mode
- Super 35 mode DCI 4K (4096 x 2160) recording up to 60p
- 16-bit RAW output (using XDCA-FX9 extension unit)
- Full HD up to 180fps slow-motion
- *up until now camera can do 120fps max.
- S35 2K crop mode – improved quality
- Custom 3D LUTs support – users can upload 17-point or 33-point 3D LUTs
- Hybrid Log Gamma (HLG)
- 6G-SDI output support
- Change settings from the status screen
- Some settings can be modified from the status screen
- Items can be selected using the multi-function dial, multi selector, or via touchscreen
- ISO expanded to 102,400 max
- When gain in dB, you can configure values up to 27dB
- AF improvements:
- Eye AF support added
- When Focus Area is set to Flexible Spot or Zone, the focus area frame can now be moved using touchscreen
- AF transition speed and AF subject shift sensitivity can now be assigned to assignable buttons
- In Cine EI mode, Face/Eye detection AF performance has been improved in S-Log3.
Get the Sony FX9 on B&H Photo/Video
4K Raw Output – Sony FX9 to Atomos
It is worth noting that currently, the Atomos Shogun 7 is the only external recorder supporting the raw output from the FX9. The camera also requires the dedicated FX9 XDCA extension unit, which enables a 16bit linear raw output recorded as 12 bit ProRes RAW on the Shogun 7.
See what’s new in FX9 Firmware v2.0 and upcoming v3.0:
If you are a Sony FX9 owner, be sure to download firmware v2.01 from Sony’s support pages here.