DJI has released a new firmware update for the DJI RS2 adding a dolly zoom feature as well as support for the DJI Ronin 3D Focus System. This system enables autofocus on manual lenses.
And, although this may sound like a contradiction, the system is quite clever. Similar systems are commonly used on large scale productions and usually cost thousands of dollars. However, DJI has managed to create a compact and affordable autofocus system for manual lenses giving gimbal operators more options for creative control.
Autofocus for Manual Cine Lenses?
Furthermore, the DJI Ronin 3D Focus System works by automatically detecting the distance between the lens and subject. Then it enables a centre AF point for manual focus lenses to create a continuously focused shot.
However, in order for this function to work users will also need the DJI Ronin Focus Motor to function. The Ronin 3D Focus system is now available to pre-order for $169.
In addition to the above mentioned new features, firmware update v01.02.00.30 also adds support for Nikon Z 6II and Z 7II cameras.
DJI RS 2 Firmware Update v01.02.00.30 Details:
New Features and Improvements:
- Support for DJI Ronin 3D Focus System
- when DJI RS 2 is used with the DJI Ronin Focus Motor,
- Added Dolly Zoom Feature:
- DJI RS 2 must be used with the DJI Ronin Focus Motor.
- The distance and duration from point A to B can be set on the focus motor.
- Support for Sony a7C and a7s III:
- video recording, camera settings, autofocus, and focus pull with supported Sony E mount lenses using a Multi-Camera Control Cable (USB-C).
- To use autofocus press halfway on the camera control button of the gimbal.
- Video recording and zoom for Sony PXW-Z90V and FDR-AX100E.
- Added photo capture, video recording, camera settings, autofocus, and focus pull support for Nikon Z6 II, Z7 II, and Nikon D500.
- Support for Canon EOS-1D X and Canon EOS C70:
- Video recording, photo capture, camera settings, autofocus, and focus pull.
- Added photo and video capture, camera settings, autofocus, and focus pull support for Panasonic Lumix S5 cameras with supported L-mount lens using a Multi-Camera Control Cable (USB-C)
- Panasonic Lumix BGH1 Support:
- video recording, camera settings, autofocus, and focus pull support
- Added aperture settings for Olympus E-M1 II cameras.
- Added ability to rotate screen – swipe left on the touchscreen and swipe up to enter More settings.
- Added ability to trigger ActiveTrack by dragging a box around the subject on the touchscreen.
How to Update the Firmware on DJI RS 2 Gimbal (DJI Ronin app Instructions)
- Be sure the DJI Ronin app is the latest version when updating the firmware.
- for the latest RS 2 firmware v01.02.00.30, you need to be running DJI Ronin app version v1.4.4 on both iOS and Android
- Update the firmware using the DJI Ronin app by connecting the DJI RS 2 via Bluetooth.
- Do not disconnect the DJI Ronin app and DJI RS 2 during the update process.
- Update the firmware for the DJI RavenEye Image Transmission System using the DJI Ronin app by connecting the RavenEye via Wi-Fi.
- Do not disconnect the DJI Ronin app and DJI RavenEye Image Transmission System during the update process.
- If DJI RS 2 has a camera attached and is powered on while updating the firmware, make sure to protect the camera and lens as the motors will power off during the update procedure.
- If the firmware update fails, restart DJI RS 2 and retry
For more details head over to DJI’s support pages here.