Canon just released the much-awaited MaOS version of their EOS Webcam Utility Beta software. Up until recently, this app was only a Windows thing. Furthermore, this free software allows anyone to use a compatible Canon DSLR as a USB Webcam and significantly up the quality of their Zoom/Skype/livestreams.
Just plug it into your Macbook Pro/MacBook Air or Mac running macOS 10.14 (Mojave) or 10.15 (Catalina) via USB and you are good to go.
Remote offices and virtual meetings are prevalent these days, since the pandemic disrupted the traditional office work environment, to a point where there is probably no going back anytime soon.
Canon has issued some tips and best practices for their EOS Webcam Utility software:
In macOS 10.14 (Mojave) and 10.15 (Catalina), the following applications will not list or permit EOS Webcam Utility Beta software to function on your device:
- Zoom, Skype, WebEx, Facetime, Safari
- Instead – use the web-based Skype, Zoom and WebEx in Google Chrome as opposed to their native apps.
- EOS Webcam Utility Beta software will not be visible if the EOS Utility application is running on your computer. For EOS Webcam Utility Beta software to perform correctly, you need to “Quit” the EOS Utility.
- Set your camera to Movie mode, not Photo mode – as you may otherwise get a black border on your video feed.
Only one video conferencing application will receive video feed at any given time. Canon advises users to close (and properly quit) any other video conferencing application not in use.
- In case the USB connection is unplugged during video conferencing, the video conferencing application may not display correctly. If this occurs and you cannot recover video feed after you reconnect the USB connection, you may have to restart your video conferencing application or restart your computer.
List of Compatible Canon Cameras for EOS Webcam Utility Beta:
- Canon EOS-1D X Mark III / EOS-1D X Mark II
- 5DS R / EOS 5DS
- EOS 5D Mark IV
- EOS R / EOS RP
- Canon 6D Mark II / EOS 7D Mark II
- EOS 90D/EOS 80D / EOS 77D
- Rebel T7i / EOS Rebel T6i / EOS Rebel T7 / EOS Rebel T6
- EOS Rebel SL3 / EOS Rebel SL2
- Rebel T100
- Canon EOS M6 Mark II / EOS M50 / EOS M200
- PowerShot G5X Mark II / PowerShot G7X Mark III / PowerShot SX70 HS
Head over to Canon to download the MacOS version of EOS Webcam Utility Beta.