Canon has just released a new firmware update for their latest EOS R5 and R6 cameras. Canon EOS R5 and R6 firmware v1.1.1 implements heat management controls on the R6 and also provides some bug fixes.
Nevertheless, this is a more Canon EOS R6 oriented firmware update, however R5 users still do benefit from a couple of bug fixes.
Canon Releases New Firmware to Tackle Overheating Issues on EOS R6
According to some reports of this firmware (which supersedes the previous firmware v1.1.0) it does appear that the R6 gets more consistent recovery times after overheating. However, I do not have access to either of the cameras, but if I do anytime soon, I’d be sure to give you my insights in another post.
Get the Canon EOS R6 + 24-105mm lens on Amazon here!
Canon EOS R6 Firmware v1.1.1 Details
- Temperature detection and shooting time control in video shooting have been improved.
- In addition, the total shooting time when the short-time recording and power-on/off are performed repeatedly at room temperature is improved.
- The phenomenon in which the movie recording time available is not correctly displayed when the Date/Time/Zone is not set has been corrected.
- A messaging is displayed when [HDMI display: Camera+External monitor] and [Overheat control: on] settings are both enabled.
- When the RF100-500mm f/4.5-7.1 L IS USM is attached, an image stabilization effect of approximately six stops is achieved through collaborative control with the in-lens image stabilization.
Fixes a phenomenon in which the IS capabilities may be degraded when performing continuous shooting in cases where the RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM lens is attached to the EOS R6 running firmware version 1.1.0.
- When using certain RF lenses for movie shooting, the in-lens image stabilization mechanism has been improved.
- Fixes a phenomenon in which the “Slow Synchro” setting screen is not accurately displayed, when the language is set to English.
- Fixes a typo on the communication setting screen, when the language is set to Korean.
- Improved connectivity during FTP transmission.
Canon EOS R5 Firmware Update v1.1.1 Details:
- 6-stops shake compensation with RF 100-500mm f/4.5-7.1 L IS USM lens when combined with the in-camera image stabilization.
- Fixes a phenomenon in which the IS capabilities may be degraded when performing continuous shooting in cases where the RF 100-500mm f/4.5-7.1 L IS USM lens is attached to the EOS R5 running firmware version 1.1.0.
Download firmware v1.1.1 from Canon’s support pages here.