Blackmagic Design just announced DaVinci Resolve 17, a massive release with over 300 new features and improvements.
These include next-gen HDR grading tools, re-designed primary colour controls, new Fairlight audio engine including Fairlight audio core and support for 2,000 real time audio tracks.
You can download Resolve 17 public beta today from the Blackmagic Design’s dedicated page here. To learn more about all the new features in the latest DaVinci Resolve release, do read on below.
Earlier today, Blackmagic Design also announced the a new, compact Resolve Speed Editor keyboard.
DaVinci Resolve 17 Features
- HDR colour correction tools with customizable wheels and tonal zones.
- Mesh and grid based colour warper delivers a new way to transform colour.
- Magic mask automatic object isolation powered by the DaVinci Neural Engine.
- Improved RCM – Resolve Colour Management with tone mapping and colour space aware tools.
- Massive DaVinci Wide Gamut colour space for higher quality image processing.
- High speed audio editing with new keyboard and mouse context sensitive tools.
- Fairlight Audio Core engine with auto load balancing and support for 2,000 tracks.
- Revolutionary FlexBus architecture for audio routing without limitations.
- Automatic transient detection for beats, words, and sound effects.
- Support for massive audio projects with thousands of tracks on a single system.
- Metadata based card view in media pool on cut page.
- Precision audio trimming on the cut page timeline and graphical trimmer.
- Smart reframe powered by the DaVinci Neural Engine on cut and edit pages.
- Live effect, title, and transition previews on cut and edit pages.
- Import and edit projects from ATEM Mini Pro ISO.
- Proxy media workflows:
- up to 1/16th resolution in H.264, H.265, ProRes or DNxHR.
- Timeline based clip syncing to create multi-cam and compound clips.
- Alpha support for keying and compositing on cut and edit pages.
- Render in place command for effects heavy clips on cut and edit timelines.
- Make source side adjustments before editing clips into the timeline.
- Portable timeline and bin files for easy sharing.
- Native interlace processing and real-time 3:2 pulldown removal.
- Node tree bookmarks, customizable Fusion toolbar, and vertical node layouts.
- Support for growing files in media pool.
- Support for frame based metadata for:
- BRAW, ARRI, RED, Sony and EXR.
- Workflow integration API and third party encoder API.
Improvements in Colour and Editing Page
New HDR Grading Tools
Colourists get access to new colour wheels with custom roll off for specific tonal ranges, giving them more creative control to make fine adjustments. The wheels include exposure and saturation controls for each zone.
Mesh Warping Tool
Furthermore, this new features lets you adjust two colour parameters at the same time. For example, using the Mesh Warper Tool you can change values in both hue and saturation or chroma and luma. Adjustments are made by dragging control points, with smooth falloff for clean, natural looking adjustments.
This new features uses the DaVinci Neural Engine to automatically create masks for an entire person or specific features such as face or arms. This way you get matte finesse tools, the ability to add and remove strokes and automatic tracking.
DaVinci Wide Gamut and Improved RCM
Furthermore, DaVinci Resolve Color Management adds features to simplify both SDR and HDR workflows, while the new DaVinci Wide Gamut and DaVinci intermediate are timeline color space and gamma settings that provide a universal internal working color space.
The new DaVinci Wide Gamut is much larger than what cameras or BT.2020 can capture, and even exceeds ACES AP1. This way you can future proof your projects for future delivery in HDR or otherwise.
And editing social medial content is now much easier with vertical HD and Ultra HD frame guides.
Improvements to Fairlight and Fusion pages
In the audio department, Resolve 17 also makes some hefty improvements. The new Fairlight Audio Core is a low latency, next generation audio engine that intelligently manages workload by using all CPU cores and threads, as well as the optional Fairlight Audio Accelerator card.
Editors and sound designers now have access to up to 2,000 tracks, each with real time EQ, dynamics and 6 plug-ins, all on a single system.
Also new, FlexBus is a flexible bus architecture that uses up to 26 channel wide multi purpose buses instead of fixed buses. It allows users to send tracks to buses, buses to tracks, and buses to buses in as many cascade layers deep as needed to create massive sessions.
A new transient analysis tool automatically detects individual words, beats, or sound effects. Transient markers are displayed as vertical lines in the waveform. These markers make it easy to identify specific parts of a sound for editing.
In the Fusion panel, editors now have access to Resolve FX 3D, HSL and luma keyer plug-ins. These enable users pull keys directly in the timeline on both the edit and cut pages. In addition, alpha channels from Resolve FX and Open FX plug-ins are now supported, as are embedded alpha channels and external matte files giving editors and effects artists even more compositing options.
Fusion also gets support for native processing of interlaced timelines resulting in higher quality compositing and titling for interlaced deliverables. This feature uses the DaVinci Neural Engine to de-interlace and analyze motion between fields to reconstruct progressive frames.
Furthermore, Fusion now also supports Templates, which means that editors can now save Compositions they’ve created as a template and use them on the Edit or Cut pages.
Also, new animation curve modifiers can be used to automatically retime animations when customers change their duration in an edit.
In addition, 27 GPU accelerated Resolve FX have been added to the Fusion page, including the noise reduction and sharpening tools from the Color page.
Watch the full DaVinci Resolve 17 and Resolve Speed Editor presentation below:
Head over to Resolve 17’s custom designed page here, where you can also download the public beta version and try out the new features.