Blackmagic just announced a new family of 3G Micro Converters allowing you to use HDMI equipment with professional SDI systems.
The new Micro Converter 3G models come with advanced features such as 3D LUTs and expanded support for more video formats compared to the previous generation.
The range includes three models – Micro Converter 3G-SDI to HDMI, and HDMI to 3G-SDI version, and a Bi-Directional 3G SDI to HDMI In and Out model.
Furthermore, the new Micro Converters are very affordable at just $45 USD, and are available now from authorised dealers such as B&H.
Blackmagic Micro Converter 3G – Quick Features
- Compact and portable design
- Supports upgrading software via USB
- LEDs for status and power
- Power via USB-C from power banks or laptops
- 3D LUT support for monitoring on SDI to HDMI model.
- Includes camera control features for Blackmagic ATEM switchers.
- Supports 3G-SDI and HDMI timecode standards.
- Features 3G-SDI technology with built in SDI re‑clocking.
- Supports all video standards in NTSC, PAL, 720 HD and 1080 HD.
- Models can be purchased with or without power supply
- Price: $45 USD
Bridge the Gap Between HDMI and SDI Worlds
The beefy and compact design makes the new 3G Micro Converters small enough to be used anywhere. Filmmakers, broadcast users, and video creators now have access to professional 3G‑SDI connections for working with all SD and HD formats up to 1080p60.
Their versatile and high-quality design makes them suitable for a wide range of applications from broadcast, live production to on set use.
Use them for turning any computer display, television or video projector into high quality calibrated broadcast monitoring. They’re also perfect for converting the HDMI outputs of computers and consumer video cameras to high-end SDI equipment.
Supported SDI formats:
- DCI 2K/23.98, 24 and 25p
- DCI 2K/29.97p, 2Kp30 DCI, 2Kp47.95 DCI, 2Kp48 DCI,
- 2K/50 DCI, 2Kp59.94 DCI and 2Kp60 DCI,
- 2K/25PsF DCI, 2K/29.97PsF DCI and 2K/30PsF DCI.
- 1080p23.98, 1080p24, 1080p25, 1080p29.97, 1080p30, 1080p47.95, 1080p48,
- 1080p50, 1080p59.94, 1080p60, 1080PsF25, 1080PsF29.97, 1080PsF30,
- Interlaced Full HD formats – 1080i50, 1080i59.94, and 1080i60
- HD – 720p50, 720p59.94, 720p60,
- SD – 525i / 59.94 NTSC and 625i/ 50 PAL,
Supported HDMI video standards:
- 525i/59.94 NTSC and 625i/50 PAL
- 720p50, 720p59.94, 720p60
- 1080p / 23.98, 1080p/24, 1080p/25, 1080p/29.97, 1080p/30
- Full HD 1080p50, 1080p59.94, 1080p60
- Interlaced – 1080i50, 1080i59.94 and 1080i60
- 3G level A and B are also supported
Wide Support for 8bit/10bit HD and SD Video Formats
Unlike other compact SDI converters, the new Micro Converters feature the highest quality broadcast technology, miniaturized into an incredibly strong metal enclosure. Each converter has industrial standard 3G‑SDI and HDMI connections with strong high quality connectors.
In addition, the Blackmagic Micro Converters include a USB type C connection for power, as well as changing settings via the converter utility on Mac and Windows. And this means, that you can even power these converters from laptops.
Furthermore, the new 3G Micro Converters have been engineered with precision electronics resulting in a very low SDI jitter, allowing broadcast users to extend SDI cables over long distances. That’s vital for live production where equipment such as cameras can be a long distance from switchers.
Another benefit in the 3G Blackmagic Micro Converters is their compatibility with both 8 and 10‑bit video formats, in RGB or YUV, and in all SD and HD formats up to 1080p60. They even support 1080p24, 1080p47.95 and 1080p48 film rates. Plus users get fully embedded audio and timecode support.
Built-in SDI re-clocking and Full Broadcast Compliance
Blackmagic Micro Converters include built in SDI re‑clocking on the 3G‑SDI output. The SDI re‑clocking will regenerate the SDI video, reduce SDI jitter and improve SDI eye pattern before the converter sends the signal to other equipment.
This allows longer cable lengths because even degraded SDI signals can still be used. Other converters often leave out important features such as re-clocking so are not reliable for broadcast use. In addition, the new Blackmagic Micro Converters also fully comply with SMPTE 259M, SMPTE 292M, SMPTE 296M, SMPTE 424M, SMPTE 425M level A and B, broadcast standards.
Power via USB-C from Anywhere
For lots of users thinking of adding a 3G-SDI Micro Converter to their camera rigs the fact you can power them via USB-C is a huge plus. However, users can also purchase Micro Converters with an AC power supply that supports 100 to 240V AC and comes with 4 different international AC socket adapters.
To learn more about the new Micro Converters 3G models from Blackmagic Design head over to the dedicated product page here.