Atomos announces the release of ProRes RAW recording over HDMI from Olympus OM-D E-M1X and E-M1 Mark III mirrorless cameras. With AtomOS 10.56 update, which is available as a free download to Ninja V users, Atomos brings 4K/30p and 4K DCI at 24 fps 12bit ProRes RAW recording from the popular Olympus cameras.
ProRes RAW comes to Olympus Mirrorless!
Olympus users who love the OM-D family for its portability and in-body 5-axis image stabilization can now benefit from a ProRes RAW workflow when they combine the cameras with the Atomos Ninja V, such as creative control to adjust the colour and look of the video in post-production while extending brightness and shadow detail.
Atomos CEO Jeromy Young, said this regarding the new update:
“We’re thrilled to work with Olympus and their stunning mirrorless cameras to bring the power of Apple’s ProRes RAW to OM-D users. We can’t wait to see the creativity that results from this partnership”.
AtomOS v10.56 Firmware Update Details
- RAW recording from Olympus OM-D E-M1X and OM-D E-M1 Mark III
- Support for 12-bit ProRes RAW out over HDMI.
- Note: Olympus E-M1X users need to update their camera to firmware version 2.0, while E-M1 Mark III requires firmware v1.2
- 12-bit ProRes RAW Recording in the following resolutions/frame rates:
- 4K DCI (4096 x 2160p at 24fps).
- 4K UHD (3840 x 2160p at 23.98, 25, 29.97 fps).
- AtomOS RAW Monitoring Settings:
- Native – Linear to Log gamma or use with 3D LUTs – can use any existing Log gamma LOOK LUTs .
- Rec709 – to view RAW input in SDR up to 6.7 stops of dynamic range.
- HLG – to view RAW in HLG with up 10.5 stops of dynamic range.
- PQ – to view RAW in PQ/HDR10 with up to 10.5 stops of dynamic range, for scenes with extended spectral highlights.
- AtomOS Non-RAW Monitoring Settings:
- Monitor OM-Log400 gamma in DCI-P3 D65 colour space.
- Monitor Olympus flat gamma in Rec709 colour space.
Janne Amunét of Kauas Creative shared his experience shooting in ProRes RAW on the Olympus E-M1X and E-M1 Mark III with the Ninja V in the video below:
Download AtomOS v10.56 Update
Ninja V and Olympus OM-D E-M1X and OM-D E-M1 Mark III users can now download the free AtomOS v10.56 update from the Atomos support page here.
As mentioned above, ProRes RAW functionality requires the firmware version 2.0 for the OM-D E-M1X and firmware version 1.2 for the OM-D E-M1 Mark III.