ARRI releases ALEXA Mini LF SUP 7.0 beta (software update package) firmware update, adding new Super 35 recording formats.
It should be however noted, that this firmware is “for evaluation purposes only and not suitable for production.”
Major new features in the latest update include highly desired Super 35 modes including 3.4K in 3:2, as well as 3.2K 16×9, which will come handy for those using Super 35 cine lenses.
2 x Alexa Cameras into 1 – Super 35 and Large Format
Furthermore, with the additional new formats, the Alexa Mini LF becomes more flexible than ever. The camera now combines modes usually found on the S35 sensor Alexa MINI as well as large-format modes, making it a more versatile workhorse for any type of production.
At the same time, ARRI also expand the cameras’ features for the hugely popular large format. Two new large format recording formats deliver the large format look with a significantly reduced data rate (HD or 4K UHD recording).
Also according to ARRI, many additional features are based on customer requests and greatly improve the overall usability of the camera.
New Super 35 modes – not Netflix approved
And as mentioned above, the new S35 recording formats allow the use of an ALEXA Mini LF instead of or alongside an ALEXA Mini with identical recording formats.
The same workflow can then be used for Mini LF and Mini (except that Apple ProRes has
an .mxf file format on Mini LF and a .mov file format on Mini).
If all you need is the S35 sensor area, these new formats also have a lower data rate than the LF formats. Unfortunately, the new S35 recording formats, like their equivalents in the ALEXA Mini, are not Netflix 4K approved.
ARRI ALEXA Mini LF SUP 7.0 Beta – New Features:
- Added new Super 35 recording formats:
- 3.4K S35 3:2 – 3.4K (3424 x 2202) up to 60fps
- 3.2K S35 16:9 – 3.2K (3200 x 1800) up to 75fps
- 2.8K S35 4:3 – 2.8K Anamorphic (2880 x 2160) up to 75fps
- 2.8K S35 16:9 – HD
- New large format recording formats:
- 4.3K LF 16:9 – UHD
- 4.3K LF 16:9 – HD
- Other improvements in SUP 7.0 beta:
- Expanded recording format names
- Better MAGNIFICATION monitoring overlay
- Expanded list of default frame lines
- Increased number of frame lines
- User setup file forward/backwards compatibility
- Camera Access Protocol (CAP) enhancements
- Improved communication with LBUS devices
- ECS improvements
- Improved logfile exporting
- System stability improvements
You can head over to ARRI’s support page here to download the latest update.